Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gray Thread, Mother's Day cards, and Muffins


I think that title sounds a little "off", don't you? I'm not gonna question it. I'm just gonna go with it.

Here's another one for you. Can you tell the difference between the two cards? These pictures remind me of those picture puzzles in the paper where you find the six differences between the pictures. Only in this one, hopefully, there's only one difference. If you find more than one, you are supposed to be polite and overlook it because it's just a handmade card, okay?

Give up? It's the button! In the top picture, the button is a Crumb Cake, and in the bottom picture, it's a Very Vanilla. In both the buttons, there is a little strip of Basic Gray card stock instead of thread.

Here's a close up of that for you. It's soooo much easier than threading with the real deal of thread. It coordinates better, too.

So I finally did some sewing with my sewing machine that I've had in my crafting area for three years without touching it - except the occasional dusting off. I talked about the sewing projects right here.

Well, I wanted to sew a bit on some cards and decided to do the sewing on sets of cards I'm making for my mom and my sweetie's mom for their Mother's Day presents. My problem? I only have gray thread! Okay. I'll admit it now -- I sewed every one of the costumes with gray thread. It was all I had! The men commented on the decorative sewing around their cuffs and collars. I didn't bother to tell them that it was because I only had gray thread. I had several spools of it. Why? I don't exactly remember. At least it was there and handy.

So -- I had to come up with cards for the moms that could coordinate with gray thread.

Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set; Baja Breeze, Very Vanilla, Basic Gray, and Crumb Cake card stock; Elegant Soiree Designer Series Paper; Neutrals Collection Designer Buttons; Very Vanilla 5/8" Satin Ribbon; Window and Modern Label punches; Stampin' Dimensionals; Gray thread.

I asked the younger teenager today if he would like me to make brownies or cookies. He said, "Muffins". Oh. That was a surprise.

"Chocolate Chip muffins or blueberry?"
"Both."
Well, I didn't have time to make both, but I did carve out some time to make these wonderful Chocolate Chip Muffins. The recipe won 2nd place in the Taste of Home's Quick Cooking magazine, March/April 2005 issue. Yeah, I've been making them for that long. It's a great recipe.

They have the most wonderful sprinkling of brown sugar and cinnamon on the top of them -- with some extra chocolate chips thrown in for good measure!

Oops! This one got left out of the sprinkles line! It still must have been tasty because it was among the first three that were eaten!

Here's the recipe if you're so inclined:
1/2 c. butter, softened (I used Crisco, butter flavored - taboo to some of you, I know, but it's quick and easy for me)
1 c. sugar (I used 1/2 c. sugar and 1/2 c. Splenda)
2 eggs (I used 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites)
1 cup plain yogurt (I used plain, fat-free yogurt)
1 t. vanilla
2 c. all-purpose flour (I use 1 c. unbleached all-purpose and 1 c. whole wheat)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips

TOPPING:
1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. chopped walnuts (I leave this out -- I don't care for walnuts)
1 t. ground cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add yogurt and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1 dozen.

Enjoy! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Happy Stampin' and Scrappin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you!